-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert.com@lists.mozilla
.org] On Behalf Of Nick Lamb via dev-security-policy
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 10:44 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Misissued certificates

On Thursday, 10 August 2017 16:55:22 UTC+1, iden...@gmail.com  wrote:
> certificates contain the issue.  Three (3) of these are real
> certificates; however, one has expired. We have revoked the other two
> certificates. The remaining two (2) are pre-certificates.

To clear this up for anybody who didn't go look: They're specifically
pre-certificates _for_ the other two certificates, so there is nothing
further here that could be revoked.

And as Ryan writes, what we'd want to see here in m.d.s.policy isn't
revocations (though those are required by the BRs anyway so we do expect
them) but an investigation of what went wrong and a summary of what was done
to ensure we won't be back here reading about the same problems at the same
CAs.

Like an Accident Investigator my focus is not on "punishing the guilty" but
on the Prevention of Future Harm. We can't undo the fact that a certificate
was mis-issued, but we can try to reduce the number of future mis-issuances
by learning from past mistakes and putting in place technologies, policies
and practices that avoid mis-issuance in the future.