On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 20:27:05 +0100
Neil Dunbar via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> Note that TrustCor is capable of removing SHA-1 as a signature hash on
> OCSP responses, if the community determines it presents risk to the
> relying parties. However, this does raise the risk to some clients
> that would fail to understand the signature on the response.  We
> should prefer to service as many clients as faithfully as we can while
> remaining true to the security principles of this community.

Yes, OCSP responses signed with SHA-1 do present a risk, since a
chosen prefix attack can be performed to forge OCSP responses and even
certificates:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org/msg02999.html

Even if you technically constrain your OCSP responder certificates as
required by Mozilla policy section 5.1.1, forged OCSP responses are
still possible if you use SHA-1.  That would allow attackers to use
revoked certificates.  So it would be better if you didn't use SHA-1 at
all for OCSP responses.

Thanks for your consideration of security feedback from the community.

Regards,
Andrew