On 15/08/17 13:59, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> Note: adding to certdata.txt, at present, will have various undesirable
> side-effects:
>
> - Distrust records, without associated certs, can present UI issues when
> viewing and editing (which is why the associated certs are included in
> certdata.txt)

The current distrust records do have associated certs, right?

> - Distrust records, _with_ associated certs, can present UI issues when
> viewing and editing (yes, it's a no-win, and that's the point)

I assume you mean UI issues in Firefox/Thunderbird specifically?

> - Distrust records, _with_ associated certs, can present new challenges for
> distributions that patch (failing to include a new root = things don't work
> that should. failing to distrust an old certificate = things that shouldn't
> work, do)

However, these are existing rather than new challenges, given that we
already have such certificates in the store.

> Could you indicate what you believe 'big' distrusts are versus 'little'
> distrusts? Are we talking root vs subordinate CA? Something else?

"Big" probably means Diginotar-scale Internet hoo-ha.

Gerv