> I want to give you some words from one of the "community side" (this is a
> personal opinion and may vary from other opinions inside the community).
>
> Trust is not something that you get, it is something that you earn.

True

> StartCom was distrusted because of serious issues with their old PKI and now
> had the chance to restart - there are serious issues again. I don't think that
> the "community" wants rogue CAs on its list just because they restarted with
> new certificates.
>
> - The fact that you were cross-signed by Certnomis before you had valid
> WebTrust Audits and the permission to issue trusted certificates again and
> that the only thing which prevented you from using the trust path is a PUBLIC
> certificate? Is the only thing that prevents me from entering your datacenter
> a sign which tells me not to do so and the fact that you did not tell me where
> your datacenter is located?
>
> - Startcom operates/operated multiple CT Log Server itself. There is
> absolutely
> no reason to use trusted certificates for testing purposes if he does have a
> testing infrastructure. It would be easy for you to add one of your testing
> roots to your CT Logs and then test your CT behaviour. I don't think that
> Googles CTs are different from your own ones. Though your certificates might
> not have been trusted at that time, they would be now and as Gerv said, test
> certificates are not allowed. If you did not care about compliance at that
> time, why should you care about it now?

Those certificates were not trusted at that time and can´t be now because they
were revoked within minutes.

> - There is a reason why Best Practices are called best practices. Why did you
> reuse your key in root and intermediate certificates?
> Because there is nomoney for additional HSMs? Because you don't know how to
> generate new
> keys? An explanation would be great.

A new thread has started about this. It´s not forbidden.

> - P-521 are forbidden by Mozilla. Even if there is a discussion to change
> this it
> does not allow you to take that as a permission to test it. The fact that
> these
> certificates were reported as unrevoked at the time of reporting (as far as I
> remember) does imply that you do not monitor your certificate issuances for
> policy compliance at all. What do you do to ensure that all of your
> certificates
> are compliant with all requirements at all times?

At the time of application, the certificates were revoked and countermeasures
set and since then there´s no more issues. We have implemented cablint, crt.sh,
... and some other tools into our issuance process and still trying to improve
much more.
I´m not trying to excuse we had issues but we corrected them.

> - What internal audits have you done to ensure the integrity of your systems?
> If something so critically as the permission to issue certificates in EJBCA is
> only noticed after you explicitly looked for it, what happens if someone
> removes all of your security mechanisms? You will find that out too after you
> misissued thousands of certificates? Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Despite all the terrible systems we have, etc. we haven´t misissued thousands
of certificates, nor hundreds. The issues we had, have been fixed.  Those test
certs issued directly from the EJBCA was a mistake, explained many times. I
have nothing to add to what I´ve already said. It was not a good decission, not
a good practice, and it´s forbidden.

> - The incidents with Diginotar should have made clear that secure, well
> audited and hardened code is absolutely necessary as well as reliable logs.
> The fact that these flaws where not found by your internal team and only
> discovered after an external company tested your systems is deeply
> concerning. What have you done now and what will you do to ensure that
> your systems won't be abused? How do you make sure that the code your
> people write in the future is safe and how do you detect security problems if
> you were unable to do so at the first time?

This is a different example, Diginotar was attacked and the attacker was able
to enter in their systems, and this is not what happened with StartCom. As
said, the code that went live is not the same that was audited the first time
and has been improved since then. The audits are just for that, and we will
continue doing yearly security audits to improve our systems.