Hi Percy,

Yes, you´re right, that was on the table and also suggested by Mozilla, but
the issue was that people from 360 are used to code in PHP and the old one
was in Java and some other for which they are not so familiar and then was
decided to re-write all the code in PHP trying to keep the same
functionality. Besides, the old code had to be integrated with the new PKI
infrastructure, EJBCA, and that was not an easy task.
All in all on the table, integration with new systems, maintenance of the
old code if issues arise due to this integration or any other problem, not
good language knowledge, get used to PHP, etc. made us took that decission.
Furthermore, with this decission, we also wanted to let the community know
that this is totally a new CA system in all aspects, nothing related to the
past, everything from scratch, so new coding, new programming language, new
PKI system, infrastructure, etc. hoping this would make the community have a
better impression of the new Startcom regarding the distrust issue.

Best regards

Iñigo Barreira
CEO
StartCom CA Limited