Jeremy,

I think the grouping may mix a bit of the solutions in with the problem
definitions, so I tried to reword a little. Does this capture the mix of
what’s been discussed?

1) Clients that support a ‘common’ root store of various CAs, including
DigiCert, and do not use pinning.

2) Browser clients that support a ‘common’ root store of various CAs,
including DigiCert, but have exclusively pinned to Symantec legacy roots.

3) Non-browser clients (e.g. native applications) that support a ‘common’
root store of various CAs, including DigiCert, but have exclusively pinned
to Symantec roots.

4) Non-browser clients (e.g. native applications, payment terminals) that
only support Symantec legacy roots.

5) Browser clients that support a ‘common’ root store of various CAs,
including DigiCert, but have exclusively pinned to Symantec legacy
intermediates.

Sites that exclusively serve clients in Case 1 can migrate to DigiCert’s
existing roots, or to any other supported CA, without any disruption.

Sites that serve clients in Cases 2 - 4 would all be met by the “Managed
CA” case I gave you. Cases 2 and 3 would encounter compatibility problems
with path-building if you sign DigiCert roots.

Sites that serve clients in Case 5 do not have an readily identified
solution that meets the security objectives. Browsers can take steps here,
but there's not something from the path building side.

This is why I advocate for sticking to the original “Managed CA” plan
outlined, as this minimizes the compatibility risk isolated. It also
separates out the transition to a “Managed CA,” scheduled for Dec 1, and
any other transitions between Symantec and DigiCert, such as the intent to
acquire Symantec’s assets.