On 22/11/17 21:15, uri...@gmail.com wrote:
> In particular, why would QiHoo 360 shut down efforts by Startcom, run
> by a relatively trusted member of the community, Inigo Barreira, to
> be accepted as a CA; and instead favor WoTrus, run by Richard Wang,
> an explicitly UN-trusted member of the community, to be accepted as a
> CA.

Well, I don't think I'm saying anything controversial if I point out
they shut down StartCom because (by demonstration) they have the ability
to do so, and they saw (according to their statement) that the road to
acceptance was too long, rocky and uncertain for them. It was, it seems
to me, a business decision. Keeping it going costs money. They went out
of their way to state they are not unhappy with Inigo.

Why do they allow WoTrus to continue to operate? That question presumes
that they have the power to stop it operating. Whether they have that
power or not can probably only be determined by looking very carefully
at the ownership structure, and may involve needing to see documents
which are not public.

So I don't think you can assume it's as simple as "they like WoTrus and
they don't like StartCom".

Gerv