On 2018-01-13 12:38, josh--- via dev-security-policy wrote:
> Another update, the main thing being that we have deployed patches to our CA
> that allow TLS-SNI for both renewal and whitelisted accounts, as we said we
> would in our previous update:
>
> https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/tls-sni-challenges-disabled-for-most-new-issuance/50316

Would it make sense to effectively allow "self-service" whitelisting by
using a DNS TXT record? This would allow a static DNS configuration (no
need for dynamic records as in DNS-01) and basically allow TLS-SNI-01
users to continue using their existing setup. The record would basically
be an assertion that yes, the domain owner allows the usage of
TLS-SNI-01 and the server it is pointed to will not allow third-party
provisioning of acme.invalid certs.

Another suggestion is to use an SRV record for TLS-SNI-01 validation.
This would serve as an assertion that the method is acceptable and also
allow choosing a different port or even a different hostname/IP
altogether. Supporting this for HTTP-01 would also make sense, e.g. that
would allow using certbot in standalone mode on a nonstandard port,
making it perhaps one of the simplest and most universal validation
configurations, working with any server software as long as you can
provision a single static DNS record.

--
Hector Martin "marcan" (mar...@marcan.st)
Public Key: https://mrcn.st/pub