I concur that framing as reward versus punishment was not right.

No where did I meant to imply that early actors should get a free pass in
as far as continuing unmitigated validation using a vulnerable validation
method.

The early discoverers and those who reacted early to the vulnerability and
stopped validating have a natural protection of mass attacks upon the issue
becoming prevalently known.  As such, perhaps those who reacted quickly and
earlier than others have the advantage of not needing explicit revalidation
for those validations which were compliant -- at least validations up to a
given time point.

Perhaps those who later reveal their reliance on these methods have higher
burdens of remediation, owing to the natural risk that occurs from being
vulnerable for extended time after significant publication of the issue and
owing to the overall risks evidenced by slow reaction to the initial
reports?