On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a reason to make this deprecation conditional on the ballot?
>> > Given what we know about how the vulnerable methods are used in the
>> wild,
>> > they have the same level of brokenness as TLS-SNI-01/02 and it’s not
>> clear
>> > how evaluating for vulnerabilities would fix anything.
>>

>> This is a matter of timing. When possible, we should give the CA/Browser
>> Forum time to act before Mozilla does so unilaterally. Also, changing our
>> own policy is a process that would need to happen before we send this
>> communication. I have already suggested the Mozilla policy change [1].
>>

> Why is this?
>
> Mozilla unilaterally acted with the 10 Blessed Methods in order to
> mitigate security risks, after the Forum kept postponing.

Yes, *after the Forum kept postponing*.

Google and Microsoft (and later Mozilla) unilaterally acted with the
> deprecation of SHA-1.

My recollection is that Microsoft acted after first raising the issue with
the Forum and getting nowhere. So I believe that both of your examples
support my statement.

> The CA/Browser Forum consensus process does not produce results aligned
> with the Mozilla Foundation Manifesto, per-se, as it reflects a consensus
> process where 2/3 of CAs have agreed to do something. This naturally
> creates a situation of regulatory capture unaligned with the interests of
> or security of Mozilla users.
>
> There's two parts to the question at play here:
> 1) Does Mozilla believe the ballot is likely to pass the Forum, given a
> number of CA's stated opposition?

I can't answer that, but it does appear logical that the ballot is less
likely to succeed with a March deadline.

> 2) Does Mozilla believe August is an appropriate time to cease the
> practice, given the risks?

I don't know if there is consensus on this, but it is now clear to me that
at least some members of our community believe that August is not
appropriate.

  - Similarly, is Mozilla comfortable with accepting certificates using
> methods with disclosed vulnerabilities between now and that time, and that
> CAs sufficiently understand said vulnerabilities and have devised (but
> seemingly not yet disclosed) appropriate mitigations or controls?

Based on the feedback we've seen on this list, I'm going to say no, this is
a risk we're not comfortable with.

> We could still choose to set that date in our own policy if the ballot were
>> to fail. The reasoning behind that date has been discussed on the
>> CA/Browser Forum lists.
>

> Are you talking the public list, or some other list, such as the
> Validation WG list? As a co-endorser of the Ballot, in its current form of
> August, it was presented that unless we agreed to endorse at August, it was
> not worth putting forward. One reason privately put forward as to why
> August was because "other user agents" would vote against it unless it was
> August. Is Mozilla such a User Agent?
>
> I expressed my concerns about a Mar 1 deadline on a Validation WG call and
then reiterated them on the Public list: https://cabforum.org/
pipermail/public/2018-January/012713.html I don't think that message
suggests Mozilla would vote against an earlier deadline, and I can't say if
Mozilla would or not. Conversely, your endorsement of the ballot certainly
made me think that Google supported the August deadline.

Yes - https://cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2018-January/000703.html