On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 5:23 PM, Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy <

> On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 3:55:37 PM UTC-6, Ryan Duff wrote:
> > >From what I've read, it appears the situation here is that Trustico
> wanted to revoke all their customer certs from Digicert so they could do a
> mass migration to another CA (which is not a proper reason to revoke). When
> asked for proof by Digicert that the certificates were compromised and
> needed to be revoked, Trustico sent Digicert 23,000(!) private keys that
> *they had stored* due to the fact that they were generated by their
> web-based system in order to effectively *make them* compromised.
> >
> > Am I missing anything?
>
> That's kind of what I was thinking happened also.
>
> Though a couple points to correct:  The original issuing CA hierarchy is a
> Symantec trust path.  This suggests that what they really wanted to occur
> was to trigger a 24 hour reissue of all of these certificates under a
> DigiCert trusted path -- since presumably any issuance at this point would
> fall under a DigiCert path.
>
> Thus, within 24 hours, getting new certificates for all their customers
> under the new trust path.  I'm going to guess someone at Trustico was
> getting annoyed at support calls regarding the migration and somehow
> assumed there'd be no consequences for pushing the issue by way of getting
> all those certificates revoked on "security" grounds.
>
> As grounds for this belief, I submit the strangely worded statement of Mr.
> Rowley at the start of the thread "Later, the company shared with us that
> they held the private keys and the
> certificates were compromised, trying to trigger the BR's 24-hour
> revocation
> requirement".
>
> That language seems to imply that there's a sense that the security / web
> PKI integrity aspect is less the matter at stake and more that the keys
> were located and sent over to create an impossible to ignore security issue
> forcing the 24 hour window.
>
> My guess is that the person at Trustico wanted immediate reissuance of all
> of the Symantec certificates under the DigiCert trust paths and assumed:
>
> 1.  That revoking the certs for security reasons would result in ASAP
> reissue (probably true in one-offs).
> 2.  That the reissuance would happen in the DigiCert trust path (almost
> certainly true).
> 3.  That they'd have a spike of support issues related to the reissuances,
> but that Trustico would have more control over the period over which they
> had to help customers migrate certificates and then the "bleeding" would
> stop.

Note: The evidence on this thread does not support those assumptions. Among
other things, Trustico no longer is a reseller of Symantec (now DigiCert)
certificates, and has transitioned new issuance to Comodo. This was already
covered in
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/wxX4Yv0E3Mk/jx6r9jlPAwAJ