-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert....@lists.mozilla.org>
On Behalf Of Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 3:23 PM
To: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: How do you handle mass revocation requests?

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 3:55:37 PM UTC-6, Ryan Duff wrote:
> >From what I've read, it appears the situation here is that Trustico
wanted to revoke all their customer certs from Digicert so they could do a
mass migration to another CA (which is not a proper reason to revoke). When
asked for proof by Digicert that the certificates were compromised and
needed to be revoked, Trustico sent Digicert 23,000(!) private keys that
*they had stored* due to the fact that they were generated by their
web-based system in order to effectively *make them* compromised.

> Am I missing anything?

That's kind of what I was thinking happened also.

Though a couple points to correct:  The original issuing CA hierarchy is a
Symantec trust path.  This suggests that what they really wanted to occur
was to trigger a 24 hour reissue of all of these certificates under a
DigiCert trusted path -- since presumably any issuance at this point would
fall under a DigiCert path.

Thus, within 24 hours, getting new certificates for all their customers
under the new trust path.  I'm going to guess someone at Trustico was
getting annoyed at support calls regarding the migration and somehow assumed
there'd be no consequences for pushing the issue by way of getting all those
certificates revoked on "security" grounds.

As grounds for this belief, I submit the strangely worded statement of Mr.
Rowley at the start of the thread "Later, the company shared with us that
they held the private keys and the certificates were compromised, trying to
trigger the BR's 24-hour revocation requirement".

That language seems to imply that there's a sense that the security / web
PKI integrity aspect is less the matter at stake and more that the keys were
located and sent over to create an impossible to ignore security issue
forcing the 24 hour window.

My guess is that the person at Trustico wanted immediate reissuance of all
of the Symantec certificates under the DigiCert trust paths and assumed:

1.  That revoking the certs for security reasons would result in ASAP
reissue (probably true in one-offs).
2.  That the reissuance would happen in the DigiCert trust path (almost
certainly true).
3.  That they'd have a spike of support issues related to the reissuances,
but that Trustico would have more control over the period over which they
had to help customers migrate certificates and then the "bleeding" would
stop.
lw=?d=paMnJZlER7IHb626K-31V2u-Kf4DBs2hoO7Bro78ZuywH3EZ9N1dve7JXTCFPZFHyQrvw7
cDEqjPm1CCO0iQqqCbe-J7q2_uVOXTQzSslJpmeaUe9RmpgB81xaobKJOyb_YpAY8IOdkE832w7N
tu7J94BmAMUFyIN-LINYJhcdKrmRggiP3dwENTjoH8GFBgeJgbAAJ7AXEY8EsaOLt-dqVymUiml9
GCqK8Pz2bZYq21i2TjrlH5i5ctTnHGcaJLrBukwohzJ1XA0B0Ma6sfh6NdDO9yi3psZCXUIDcZyp
5FtLBoYtTo6DUQVC8VhfOJY6KGhSpursgUnQdy6yQRtirjLO9kmIOKJSuJvlbaKD3gYKkxIRzMLA
6jPbVCxU77Z6q6OAnzLtAIRiCe7-MVzty2jFdcG8R9uiVI7Vf241-3ANcBFbr288JrDaZYHwhYJu
rWo3wUC3HNJXFV_nf74MJE&u=https%3A%2F%2Flists.mozilla.org%2Flistinfo%2Fdev-se
curity-policy