On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 04:28:10AM +0000, Ben Wilson via dev-security-policy
wrote:
> 7.  List of steps your CA is taking to resolve the situation and ensure
> such issuance will not be repeated in the future, accompanied with a
> timeline of when your CA expects to accomplish these things.
>
> A.  CTJ scanned already-issued certificates to see if they contained the
> incorrect string in the FQDN and to investigate if any additional
> problematic certificates existed.
>
> B. CTJ patched its system on Mar 14.

This appears to be taking a much narrower definition of the term "such
issuance" than is appropriate, IMO.  Without more detail as to what the
patch referred to contains, I'm concerned that the applied fix is likely to
be little more than checking names against /^https:/, which whilst it
"fixes" the problem reported, does nothing to prevent
remarkably-similar-but-not-identical misissuance in the future.

Band-aid fixes are not conducive to trustworthiness.  Are there plans for
the deployment of more holistic preventative measures, such as integrating
pre-issuance checking via one or more of the established certificate linting
programs, into CTJ's issuance pipeline?  If not, why not?  If yes, what is
the timeline for such integration, and why was it not mentioned in the list
of steps above?

If the "patch" applied by CTJ was, in fact, to integrate pre-issuance
linting, I would note that more detail around the nature of "patches"
applied to CA systems in response to mis-issuance would prevent
misunderstandings.

- Matt