Furthermore in IT departments of smaller companies, setting up new
automations or upgrading otherwise functioning systems to ones that
include automation is much harder than it is for a mastodon like
Siemens.

The main arguing for ever shorter validity periods seems to come from
very few mega-companies with 100% automated computer systems, and seems
to be mostly justified as a poor workaround for the browsers and
certificate libraries not properly implementing reliable revocation
checks.

From a small IT depeartment perspective, a much more usable further plan
would be:

1. NO MORE REDUCTIONS IN MAX LIFETIME.

2. A rule that CAs periodically check for conflicting whois
  changes or other changes in underlying public records, and revoke
  affected certificates with a reasonable warning to the affected
  entities (just in case the detected change is erroneous and the
  certificate contents is still true).

3. A *requirement* that participating browsers implement fully working
  revocation checks for both OCSP and CRL cases.

4. Work to create improved (more efficient) privacy preserving
  revocation protocols, such as redundant delta CRLs over HTTPS.

5. Once revocation is actually working industry wide, work to
  reintroduce certificate lifetimes comparable to domain registration
  periods (1, 2, 3, 5 years).