My purpose in bringing up the High Risk Certificate Request and the BR that
requires that a CA maintain a list of matching criteria to scrub
certificate requests with was merely to illustrate yet another criteria
upon which GoDaddy and other CAs may legitimately decline to issue a
certificate such as the Stripe, Inc of Kentucky one.

It's clear that acceptable practices include scrubbing by "names" of
apparently any sort the CA can reasonably justify and use those to apply
heightened scrutiny to issuance.

I note that no where in that rule is it suggested that the "name" must be a
domain label or part of a domain label.  So it's not inconceivable that a
CA can scrub issuances against names (including in the O= field) it find to
be likely to be associated with phishing.

I only named Let's Encrypt as an example of a CA that maintains a scrubbing
"blacklist".  In their case, it appears to require exact match to a label
including TLD and TLD+1.  I was kind of surprised that they didn't just
take all the high value domain names as to the TLD+1 field and decline all
combinations of (0...n_labels.)HIGH_VALUE_TLD+1.ANY_TLD_HERE, but I'm sure
there's a reasonable case either way.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 3:55 PM, Ryan Hurst via dev-security-policy <