I believe the wording "insecure electronic channels" leaves a lot of space for
interpretation. In corporate PKIs for email encryption it is quite common to
transfer centrally generated email encryption p12-files to mobile device
management systems, email encryption gateways or directly to mobile devices
using a wide variety of 'electronic channels'. From the proposed wording it
doesn't seem to be clear which of those channels are 'insecure' and which not.
Even if not that common, the same applies for email signature p12-files for
e.g. email signature on mail gateways or mobile devices. Most of the mobile
devices out in the field neither support hardware token, key-pair-generation in
the mailer software nor installation of downloaded p12-files (prohibited by app
sandboxing).

Maybe it would be possible to restrict the new wording to the EKU kp-ServerAuth
first and have a detailed discussion about email-encryption and user
authentication with more interested parties in the next months?

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
GS IT HR 7 4