---=== Intern ===---
Hello!

I would like to suggest to rephrase the central sentence a little bit:

Original:

CAs MUST NOT distribute or transfer certificates in PKCS#12 form through
insecure electronic channels. The PKCS#12 file must have a  sufficiently secure
password, and the password must not be transferred  together with the file.

Proposal:

CAs SHOULD NOT distribute or transfer certificates in PKCS#12 form through
insecure electronic channels. If the CA chooses to do so, the PKCS#12 file
SHALL have a  password containing at least 32 bit of output from a CSPRNG, and
the password SHALL be transferred using a different channel as the PKCS#12 file.

My proposal would allow a CA to centrally generate a P12 file, send it to the
Subject by unencrypted email and send the P12 pin as a SMS or Threema message.
This is an important use case if you want to have email encryption on a mobile
device that is not managed by a mobile device management system. Additionally I
made the wording a little bit more rfc2119-ish and made clear, what defines a
'sufficiently secure password' as the original wording lets a lot of room for
'interpretation'.

What do you think?

/Rufus

Siemens AG
Information Technology
Human Resources
PKI / Trustcenter
GS IT HR 7 4
Hugo-Junkers-Str. 9
90411 Nuernberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.busch...@siemens.com
www.twitter.com/siemens

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich, Janina Kugel, Cedrik Neike,
Michael Sen, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany;
Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684;
WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322