-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert....@lists.mozilla.org> On
Behalf Of Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:50 AM
To: mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Policy 2.6 Proposal: Require CAs to support problem reports via email

Section 4.9.3 of the CA/Browser Forum's Baseline Requirements says:
"The CA SHALL provide Subscribers, Relying Parties, Application Software
Suppliers, and other third parties with clear instructions for reporting
suspected Private Key Compromise, Certificate misuse, or other types of fraud,
compromise, misuse, inappropriate conduct, or any other matter related to
Certificates. The CA SHALL publicly disclose the instructions through a readily
accessible online means.”

Mozilla has made a central list of these mechanisms in the CCADB [1] but, as it
turns out, some of them (such as web forms with CAPTCHAs) are difficult to use.
It is proposed that Mozilla policy go above and beyond the BR requirement to
state that email must be one of the problem reporting methods supported.

Another argument in favor or requiring CAs to accept problem reports via email
is that it provides the reporter with evidence of the submission via their
email client and server logs.

Arguments against this requirement include the burden placed on CAs who must
sort through the large quantities of SPAM received by any published email
address, concerns with email reliability, and the reporter's inability to
confirm that their email has been received by the CA.

According to CCADB [1], all but a handful of CAs already support problem
reporting via email.

I would appreciate everyone's input on this topic.

This is: https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/98

[1]
https://ccadb-public.secure.force.com/mozilla/ProblemReportingMechanismsReport
-------

This is a proposed update to Mozilla's root store policy for version 2.6.
Please keep discussion in this group rather than on GitHub. Silence is consent.

Policy 2.5 (current version):
https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/blob/2.5/rootstore/policy.md