We should allow someone to obtain/view the P12 password and to download the P12
over an authenticated web site (managed portal), and that seems to be precluded
by the definition below.

Doug

From: Tim Hollebeek [mailto:tim.holleb...@digicert.com]
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2018 3:05 PM
To: Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com>
Cc: Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com>; Buschart, Rufus
<rufus.busch...@siemens.com>; mozilla-dev-security-policy
<mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>; Wichmann, Markus Peter
<markus.wichm...@siemens.com>; Enrico Entschew <enr...@entschew.com>; Grotz,
Florian <florian.gr...@siemens.com>; Heusler, Juergen
<juergen.heus...@siemens.com>
Subject: RE: Policy 2.6 Proposal: Add prohibition on CA key generation to policy

OOB passwords are generally tough to integrate into automation, and if the
channel really is “secure” then they might not be buying you anything,
depending where the “secure” channel starts and ends and how it is
authenticated.

That might not be a GOOD reason to allow it, but it is the one reason that
comes to mind.  Taking the other side, I’d argue that it’s unlikely that the
“secure” channel stretches unbroken from the site of key generation to the key
and the channel is encrypted but not authenticated.  In that case, having a
strong password does help for at least a portion of the transmission.

-Tim