CAA is HTTPS only today.  That’s the reality.

I don’t have to want to argue in favor of reality.  Reality wins regardless of
what I do.

-Tim

From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:r...@sleevi.com]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2018 11:55 PM
To: Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
Cc: r...@sleevi.com; Pedro Fuentes <pfuente...@gmail.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: question about DNS CAA and S/MIME certificates

I'm not sure how that's advancing the discussion forward or adding new
information. The discussion of CAA and wanting to get feedback predates even
the IETF finalization, as multiple browsers kept encouraging CAs to experiment
with and attempt to deploy CAA so that we could make sure the kinks were ironed
out.

Regardless of posturing and grandstanding for past statements, can we at least
agree that a model that argues "fail open" as a solution is a fundamentally
insecure one? If there are proponents of a 'fail open' model, especially
amongst CAs, then does it behove them to specify as quickly as possible a 'fail
closed' model, so that we don't have to try and divine intent and second guess
site operators as to whether they meant to restrict HTTPS or everything?

Put differently, if you want to argue that CAA is HTTPS only, then you need to
define a way to ensure it's not HTTPS-only, and ASAP. Otherwise, the solution
is that when S/MIME BRs come around, we simply cannot and should not second
guess site operators and try to argue CAA was only 'those' type of certs - and
instead require anyone with a CAA record to explicitly opt-in to allowing
(potentially unbounded) S/MIME. I don't see any other realistic or practical
solution - you can't say "This protects you" and then propose 2 years down the
road, with S/MIME BRs, that it didn't actually 'protect' the site operator -
the same way you can't say "Restrict access to these five email addresses" and
then introduce a dozen more 2 years down the road.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> > wrote:

Normally I’d agree that IETF cannot and should not be a blocker for action at
Mozilla and/or CABF, but based on our experience with CAA for web certificates,
I would encourage people to get in their time machines and go back two to three
years, and listen to Tim standing up and saying “I like CAA for the Web PKI,
but what have we not thought of?”

-Tim