From: Wayne Thayer [mailto:wtha...@mozilla.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:41 PM
To: Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
Cc: Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com>; Pedro Fuentes <pfuente...@gmail.com>;
mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: question about DNS CAA and S/MIME certificates

I don't see how this debate is leading us to a solution. Can we just
acknowledge that, prior to this discussion, the implications of CAA for the
issuance of email certificates was not well understood by CAs or domain name
registrants?

I share the desire to have a system that fails closed in the presence of any
CAA record, but that is a challenge as long as ecosystem participants view CAA
as applicable only to server certificates. The sooner we address this issue,
the better.

Mozilla policy isn't a great place to define CAA syntax. The CA/Browser Forum
currently has no jurisdiction over email, so at best could define syntax to
limit CAA scope to server certificates. The scope of the LAMPS recharter for
6844bis appears too narrow to include this. What is the best path forward?

- Wayne

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 9:29 AM Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
<mailto:dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> > wrote:

Blatantly false.  I actually suspect DigiCert might already support CAA for
email.  I haven’t double-checked.

-Tim

The only reason that "CAA is HTTPS-only" today is because CAs are not
interested in doing the 'right' thing.

              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • RE:... Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • RE:... Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Wayne Thayer via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
              • RE:... Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • RE:... Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
              • RE:... Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
              • Re:... Phillip Hallam-Baker via dev-security-policy
              • RE:... Tim Hollebeek via dev-security-policy
        • Re: question abo... Adrian R. via dev-security-policy
  • Re: question about DNS CAA an... Phillip Hallam-Baker via dev-security-policy