On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 5:06 PM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> Please contact the CA again, and inform them that BR 4.9.1.1 #6 requires
> the CA (not some reseller) to revoke the certificate within 24 hours if:
>
>     The CA is made aware of any circumstance indicating that use of a
>     Fully-Qualified Domain Name or IP address in the Certificate is no
>     longer legally permitted (e.g. a court or arbitrator has revoked a
>     Domain Name Registrant’s right to use the Domain Name, a relevant
>     licensing or services agreement between the Domain Name Registrant
>     and the Applicant has terminated, or the Domain Name Registrant has
>     failed to renew the Domain Name);
>
> While CAs are not required to discover such situations themselves, they
> must revoke once made aware of the situation (in this case by you
> telling them).
>
> At least, this is how I read the rules.
>
> This issue has come up in several CAB Forum discussions such as [1]. In
practice, I believe that the requirement Jakob quoted is rarely invoked
because (despite the examples), the language is too vague and narrow. It
can also be quite difficult for a CA to verify that the revocation request
is coming from the legitimate domain name registrant [1], making it less
likely the CA will take action.

I've made a couple of attempts to fix this, resulting in the current
language proposed for ballot 213 [2]:

The CA obtains evidence that the validation of domain authorization or
control for any Fully-Qualified Domain Name or IP address in the
Certificate should not be relied upon.

I'd prefer a more prescriptive requirement that CAs allow anyone to revoke
by proving that they control the domain name using one of the BR 3.2.2.4
methods, but this is a problem because most CAs don't support every domain
validation method and many domains are configured such that some validation
methods can't be used.

- Wayne

[1] https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2018-January/012824.html
[2] https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2018-May/013380.html