Oh – I totally agree with you on the Google inclusion issue. Google meets the
requirements for inclusion in Mozilla’s root policy so there’s no reason to
exclude them. They have an audited CPS, support a community broader with certs
than just Google, and have operated a CA without problems in the past. The
discussion on Mozilla’s independence is important IMO where a) a Mozilla
competitor as a module peer and b) having that same person also belong to a CA.
There are legit concerns. Has any other CA served as a module owner? If not,
why? I know Tim Hollebeek would be interested in being a peer. If he’s not
permitted to be a peer, why not?

To be fair, separating out Ryan as a Google browser representative and Ryan as
a module peer is…hard. Perhaps, he specifically is seen as more influential
(from my point of view) than others simply because of his dual role.

As I said before, Ryan’s a good module peer so I don’t disagree with your
conclusion or any decision to keep him in that spot. But I think openness
should include respectful conversation on the impact of influences, perceived
or real, on the Mozilla direction.  What might help alleviate concerns is to
describe how you (as a module owner) are going to ensure that if Ryan is
reviewing and approving code or CA policies, they won’t be unfairly biased
towards google or against its competitors? Maybe that’s a bad question, but I’m
spit-balling on how we can move past speculation to address concerns raised.