I'm glad you added the smiley, because in my experience CAs have rarely, if
ever, have had any discretion in such matters.  Nor do we (DigiCert)
particularly want to, to be honest.  I prefer clear, open, and transparent
validation rules that other CAs can't play games with.

Whitelisting and disclosure of validation sources was an active topic of
discussion at the Redmond F2F, if I'm remembering my meetings correctly.  I'm
surprised that more small CAs didn't support me in that effort at my previous
employer, as they generally have not taken as much time or effort to find the
correct sources, and instead rely upon inferior sources.

If that's the direction people want to move, I'd echo Matt's concern that it
will be a complex and difficult process.  It's best to recall we spent a year
or three trying to reach consensus about what localities existed in Taiwan and
how companies could be identified there, and failed.

I'm always willing to work with people on improving the baseline requirements,
but there needs to be a recognition up front that this is not going to be an
easy problem to solve, and people need to be willing to volunteer and roll up
their sleeves and do their part in we're going to undertake such a time
consuming effort.

-Tim