Forgive my ignorance, but could you please explain what was your ultimate goal, as "an attacker", what were you hoping to gain and how could you use this against Relying Parties?

I read your email several times but I could not easily find a case where your fake address creates any serious concern for Relying Parties. Even if you used the same street address as CloudFlare, the CA would check against the database and would find two company records that share the same address. That would obviously block the process and additional checks would take place. Now, as a way to delay certificate issuance for CloudFlare, I find it interesting but it certainly doesn't seem to affect Relying Parties.

And to take this one step further, I believe there are several GISs that also accept whatever address you tell them because:

1. They have no reason to believe that you will lie to them (they know
   who you are and in some Jurisdictions you might be prosecuted for
   lying to the government)
2. No foreseeable harm to others could be done if you misrepresent your
   own address.

Since we are discussing about Data/Information Sources, the BRs define how CAs should evaluate a Data Source and declaring it "Reliable".

       "3.2.2.7 Data Source Accuracy

Prior to using any data source as a Reliable Data Source, the CA SHALL evaluate the source for its reliability, accuracy, and resistance to alteration or falsification. The CA SHOULD consider the following during its evaluation:

1. The age of the information provided,
2. The frequency of updates to the information source,
3. The data provider and purpose of the data collection,
4. The public accessibility of the data availability, and
5. The relative difficulty in falsifying or altering the data.

Databases maintained by the CA, its owner, or its affiliated companies do not qualify as a Reliable Data Source if the primary purpose of the database is to collect information for the purpose of fulfilling the validation requirements under this Section 3.2."

The EVGs also describe how to evaluate and declare the "Qualified" status:

     "11.11.5. Qualified Independent Information Source

A Qualified Independent Information Source (QIIS) is a regularly-updated and publicly available database that is generally recognized as a dependable source for certain information. A database qualifies as a QIIS if the CA determines that:

(1) Industries other than the certificate industry rely on the database for accurate location, contact, or other information; and

(2) The database provider updates its data on at least an annual basis.

The CA SHALL use a documented process to check the accuracy of the database and ensure its data is acceptable, including reviewing the database provider's terms of use. The CA SHALL NOT use any data in a QIIS that the CA knows is (i) self-reported and (ii) not verified by the QIIS as accurate. Databases in which the CA or its owners or affiliated companies maintain a controlling interest, or in which any Registration Authorities or subcontractors to whom the CA has outsourced any portion of the vetting process (or their owners or affiliated companies) maintain any ownership or beneficial interest, do not qualify as a QIIS."

In my understanding, this is the process each CA must perform to evaluate every Data Source before granting them the "Reliable" or "Qualified" status. Self-reported information without any supporting evidence is clearly not acceptable. I have not evaluated this database that you mention but if they accept self-reporting for "Street Address" and don't perform any additional verification (like asking you for a utility bill or cross-referencing it with a government database), then the "Street Address" information is unreliable and the CA's evaluation process should catch that.

That doesn't mean that the rest of the information is also unreliable. For example, an Information Source might describe in their documentation practices how they verify each piece of information, for example:

 * the Jurisdicion of Incorporation (they check official government
   records),
 * registry number (they check official government records),
 * the name of legal representative (they check official government
   records),
 * the official name of the legal entity (they check official
   government records),
 * street address (they check the address of a utility bill issued
   under the name of the legal entity),
 * telephone numbers (self-reported),
 * color of the building (self-reported),

and the CA, during evaluation, might decide to accept only the first 5 as Reliable/Qualified Information as they have higher level of assurance. That would be the right thing to do. For the rest of the information, the CA should probably request additional validation information from the Applicant.

Sorry for the long email, quoting requirements always does that :)

Dimitris.