On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 6:24 AM Nick Pope via dev-security-policy <

> Following on from Waynes earlier positive statement:
>
> "I look forward to more open and constructive discussions aimed at
> improving
> the quality and transparency of CA audits, regardless of the audit scheme."
>
> I believe centring discussion on one particular auditor is not progressing
> things with regards generally improving audits.

That sounds very much like you don’t believe in either accountability or in
trustworthiness being necessary for auditors. Statements like this, which
actively promote overlooking fundamentally defective application of the
existing requirements, calls the ETSI model itself into disrepute. I
realize the opposite is your goal, but I hope you can understand how such
an approach is fundamentally and deeply offensive to the trust ecosystem.

Perhaps put differently: Do you believe that the audit criteria under ETSI
are sufficiently clear to set forward an expectation that certificates
conform to a profile?

If no, we should not use or accept ETSI audits until such a time as the
issues are resolved.
If yes, then it is absolutely appropriate and necessary to discuss why
specific auditors are failing to deliver on that.

There is no middle ground, and this is not about wishlists. This is about
fundamentally not meeting base level expectations.

> I understood from my EU colleagues that Ryan and Wayne had undertaken to
> produce a "wish list" covering requirements that they had on audits.  We
> can then we can then discuss this with the European stakeholders and see
> how we could best answer the wish list.  This wish list would be most
> helpful if it builds on the measures already proposed in TS 119 403-2 and
> its parent standards which provide specific requirements on all European
> audits for PTC.  I understand also that we undertook to meet with WebTrust
> in December to get an understand of each other schemes which could lead to
> resolution of any alignment issues.

This is entirely unrelated and unproductive to even suggest. Yes, ETSI
should and must improve overall. But with regards to the current
requirements and auditors such as TUVIT failing to appropriately apply
them, that’s an issue that needs discussion and resolution now, and in
public. I am glad the ESI TC recognizes there is room for improvement, just
as there is room for improvement with WebTrust, but it is inaccurate to
conflate that room for improvement with current failures in the
application. This is not about not having things that are wanted - this is
about not having the basics that are already required.