On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:36 AM Fotis Loukos via dev-security-policy <

> On 4/12/18 8:30 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 5:02 AM Fotis Loukos <
> me+mozdevsecpol...@fotisl.com>
>
> As far as I can tell, if no quantifiers are used in a proposition
> written in the English language, then it is assumed to be a universal
> proposition. If it were particular, then sentences such as "numbers are
> bigger than 10" and "cars are blue" would be true, since there are some
> numbers bigger than 10 and there are some cars that are blue. My
> knowledge of the inner workings of the English grammar is not that good,
> but at least this is what applies in Greek and in cs/logic (check
> http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~cs122/.Fall14/tutorials/tut_2.php for
> example). If I am mistaken, then it was error on my side.

Formally, yes, but in practice, there is ambiguity. For example, you can
say "elderly people vote for X political party", and it doesn't have to
mean that 100.0% of elderly people vote for that party for that to be a
reasonably accurate statement, if by and large that population has a clear
trend.

That's not to agree or disagree with Ryan's statement, just noting that
people do necessarily have to characterize groups sometimes, and that any
characterization of a large enough group will usually not apply to all of
its members.

I know I personally belong to a number of demographic groups whose behavior
as a group doesn't match mine as an individual, and when people criticize
those demographic groups, I try not to take it as a personal attack.

-- Eric