On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 08:13:24AM -0800, pilgrim2223--- via
dev-security-policy wrote:
> As a retail organization we are in a moratorium till 1/2/2019 this happens
> every year.  So nothing is being done that may jeopardize selling of
> widgets!

Choosing to not do something is, itself, doing something.

> The project owners claim that timeline is impossible, and deploying 30 day
> validity certs is a similar level of effort without the code changes, and
> even that may not be possible.

By a strict reading of the BRs, these missued certificates should have been
revoked within, at most, five days.  If future problems are identified, that
may happen.  So I suggest you talk to your project owners, apprise them of
the situation, and take steps to allow your systems to be able to react in
line with this potential timeline.

> To be perfectly clear here.  We are 100% on board with a depreciation of
> the underscore (once we learned there was and issue with them from our CA
> we started restricting their issuance)

This is not a change in the rules (the BRs have always forbidden this type
of issuance), nor is it even a change in external circumstance (new research
results showing something that was thought to be safe wasn't).  Your CA sold
you something they shouldn't have, and which they should have known they
shouldn't have.  If you're unhappy with what your CA sold you, I would
recommend discussing the problem with them, perhaps with the assistance of
your legal team.

> now, and does not pose a security vulnerability.

I assume you've got something to back up that statement, beyond "I can't
think of any way this could be a security vulnerability".  There are more
implementations in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy,
and all that.

- Matt