Hello!

It would be helpful, if the CA/B or Mozilla could publish a document on its web
pages to which we can redirect our customers, if they have technical questions
about this underscore issue. Right now, I can only tell them, that they are
forbidden because the ballot to explicitly allow them failed, but not really
why. Especially since the first result in Google for "underscore domain name"
is a StackOverflow article (https://stackoverflow.com/a/2183140/1426535)
stating that it is technically perfectly okay and also RFC 5280 says "These
characters [underscore and at-sign] often appear in Internet addresses.  Such
addresses  MUST be encoded using an ASN.1 type that supports them."

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
Information Technology
Human Resources
PKI / Trustcenter
GS IT HR 7 4
Hugo-Junkers-Str. 9
90411 Nuernberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.busch...@siemens.com
www.twitter.com/siemens

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich, Janina Kugel, Cedrik Neike,
Michael Sen, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany;
Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684;
WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322