On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 03:02:17PM -0700, Wayne Thayer wrote:
> It was pointed out to me that the OCSP status of the misissued certificate
> that is valid for over 5 years is still "unknown" despite having been
> revoked a week ago. I asked KIR about this in the bug [1] and am surprised
> by their response:
>
> This certificate is revoked on CRL. Because the certificate has been never
> > received by the customer its status on OCSP is "unknown". To make the
> > certificate "revoked" on OCSP first we should make it "valid" what makes no
> > sense. I know there is inconsistency between CRL and OCSP but there are
> > some scenarios when it can be insecure to make it valid just in order to
> > make it revoked.
> >

> Upon further questioning KIR states:
>
> Of course I can mark it as revoked after I make it valid, but I think it is
> > more secure practice not to change its status at all when the certificate
> > is not received by the customer. Let's suppose the scenario when your CA
> > generate certificate and the customer wants you to deliver it to its
> > office. What OCSP status the certificate should have when you are on your
> > way to the customer office? valid - I do not think so. When the certificate
> > is stolen you are in trouble. So the only option is "unknown" but then we
> > have different statuses on CRL and OCSP - but we are still safe. It is not
> > only my opinion, we had a big discuss with our auditors about that.
> >

> Does anyone other then KIR and their auditor (Ernst & Young) think this is
> currently permitted? At the very least, I believe that returning "unknown"
> for a revoked certificate is misleading to Firefox users who will receive
> the "SEC_ERROR_OCSP_UNKNOWN_CERT" error instead of
> "SEC_ERROR_REVOKED_CERTIFICATE".
>
> Does anyone other than KIR and Ernst & Young believe that this meets
> WebTrust for CAs control 6.8.12? [2]

If you follow the RFC, the "unknown" answer can mean that it
doesn't know, and that an other option like a CRL can be tried.
With "unknown", it doesn't say anything about being valid or not.

I don't think that interpretation is very useful. I think that the
OCSP server should know about the certificate before the customer
has the certificate. I think that if you have a properly signed
certificate within it's validity period, the OCSP should always
return either "good" or "revoked", never "unknown". Once a
certificate is generated and it's not revoked it's valid.

Would it be useful to have a requirement in the BRs that the OCSP
server should not answer with "unknown" for an issued certificate
within it's validity period?

Kurt