On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 7:25:08 PM UTC-8, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> On 09/02/2019 01:36, Santhan Raj wrote:
> > On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 4:09:32 PM UTC-8, Joanna Fox wrote:
> >> I agree on the surface this bug appears to be the same, but the root cause
> >> is a different. The issue for bug 1462844 was a specific status not
> >> counting as active when it was. To mitigate this issue, we updated the
> >> query to include the missing status. However, we are in the process of
> >> simplifying the data structures to simplify these types of queries.
> >>
> >> For the underscore certificates, these were non-active, not even
> >> considered as provisioned since they were not delivered to a customer and
> >> not publicly used for any encryption. These certificates were effectively
> >> abandoned by our system.
> >
> > Is the term "certificate" accurate in this case? Assuming you embed SCTs
> > within the EE cert, what you have is technically a pre-cert that was
> > abandoned (not meant to be submitted to CT). Right? I ask because both the
> > cert you linked are pre-certs, and I understand signing a pre-cert is
> > intent to issue and is treated the same way, but still wanted to clarify.
> >
> > Or by non-active certificate, are you actually referring to a fully signed
> > EE that was just not delivered to the customer?
> >

> And in either case, the only reasonable sequences of events within
> expectations (and possibly within requirements) would have been:
>
> Good Scenario A:
> 1. Pre-certificate is logged in CT.
> 2. Matching certificate is signed by CA key.
> 3. Signed certificate is logged in CT.
> 4. At this point the customer _might_ retrieve the certificate from CT
>    without knowledge of CA.
> 5. Thus certificate is in reality active, despite any records the CA
>    may have of not delivering it directly to customer.
>
> Good Scenario B:
> 1. Pre-certificate is logged in CT.
> 2. CA decides (for any reason) not to actually sign the actual
>    certificate.
> 3. The serial number listed in the CT pre-certificate is formally
>    revoked in CRL and OCSP.  This is done once the decision not to
>    sign is final.
> 4. If possible, label these revocations differently in CRL and OCSP
>    never signed and therefore not logged to CT.
>
> Scenario B should be very rare, as the process from pre-cert logging to
> final cert logging should typically be automatic or occur within a
> single root key ceremony. Basically, something unusual would have to
> happen at the very last moment, such as an incoming report that a
> relied-upon external system (Global DNS, Internet routing, reliable
> identity database etc.) may have been compromised during the vetting.
>
> In neither case would a CT-logged serial number be left in a
> not-active but not-revoked state beyond a relevant procedural
> delay.
>
> As pointed out in other recent cases, CA software must allow
> revoking a certificate without making it publicly valid first, in
> case Scenario B happens.

> [...]

My assumption is,

1) Pre-cert is generated
2) something breaks
3) pre-cert is never submitted to CT (and is termed a non-active certificate)

The basis for my assumption is "In rare cases, due to an order of operation
problem, non-active certificates were being logged to CT." and in another
response "These non-active certificates were revoked and we are taking steps to
prevent non-active certificates from being logged to CT within the next 2
weeks. "

There is no reason to "prevent non-active certificates from being logged to CT"
if the pre-cert is already in CT. To me, it makes sense to say "prevent
non-active pre-cert from being logged to CT".

Thanks,
Santhan