And upon verifying the domain via email, I saw that on the page linked in the email it had an option along the lines of "Authorize in-addr.arpa for all orders on account #123456" (not that exact text but the same meaning).

Now I am not sure if this would work, but I suspect if for example I got DNS control over cynthia.site.google.com, I could get a cert for google.com if this is a systemic issue and not just a one off.

- Cynthia

On 2019-02-27 00:10, Matthew Hardeman wrote:
Is it even proper to have a SAN dnsName in in-addr.arpa ever?

While in-addr.arpa IS a real DNS heirarchy under the .arpa TLD, it rarely has anything other than PTR and NS records defined.

Here this was clearly achieved by creating a CNAME record for 69.168.110.79.in-addr.arpa pointed to cynthia.re <http://cynthia.re>.

I've never seen any software or documentation anywhere attempting to utilize a reverse-IP formatted in-addr.arpa address as though it were a normal host name for resolution.  I wonder whether this isn't a case that should just be treated as an invalid domain for purposes of SAN dnsName (like .local).