On 13/03/2019 03:04, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Rob Stradling via dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>
> writes:
>
>> I've been working on an alternative proposal for a serial number generation
>> scheme, for which I intend to write an I-D and propose to the LAMPS WG.
>
> This seems really, really complicated.

Yes, SNOT adds complexity, but this was necessary to achieve the
security/transparency properties that I set out to achieve.

Whether or not all of those security/transparency properties are
desirable enough to warrant (some or all) CAs taking on the burden of
this added complexity is of course worthy of discussion.

CT, for example, is complicated, and yet the security/transparency
properties have been deemed desirable enough to warrant burdening the
ecosystem with the added complexity.

> In all of the endless debate over this, the one thing that hasn't actually
> come > under question is how to generate the random values themselves. What
has come up over> and over is how to encapsulate those values as an
ASN.1 integer.

I'm not sure I agree that dropping 1-bit of entropy falls entirely into
the "encapsulating those values as an ASN.1 integer" part.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist