On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 22:16:27 +0000
Rob Stradling via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> Even better than that (and many thanks to Andrew Ayer for suggesting
> this idea)...
>
> To enable folks to do more thorough statistical analysis, I've
> produced another, richer summary table (named
> serial_number_entropy_20190325) on the crt.sh DB where each row
> contains...
> - the CA ID.
> - a count of the total number of unique serial numbers.
> - 160 counts, representing the number of times a given serial number
> bit is 1.  (Serial numbers of <20 octets were left-padded with 0x00
> bytes).
>
> This report covers all serial numbers in certs known to crt.sh where:
> - there is an unrevoked serverAuthentication trust path to a Mozilla
> built-in root.
> - the notBefore date is between 2018-04-01 and 2019-02-22.
>
> Duplicate serial numbers (i.e., precertificate/certificate pairs) are
> deduplicated.

Thanks for creating this report Rob!

I used the following query to estimate the serial number entropy of
every CA which has issued more than 1,000 certificates:

SELECT issuer_ca_id,(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM (SELECT
unnest(bit_position_sums)/(cert_count::float) AS ratio) subq WHERE ratio >=
0.45 AND ratio <= 0.55) AS entropy_estimate FROM serial_number_entropy_20190325
WHERE cert_count > 1000 ORDER BY issuer_ca_id;

(This query considers a bit "random" if it's 1 between 45% and 55% of
the time.)

Fortunately, this did not find any CA not already listed in Rob's
spreadsheet.

Regards,
Andrew