On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:59 AM Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 5:29 PM Ryan Sleevi <r...@sleevi.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the reference. I would note that Microsoft's requirements
>>> appear to be much narrower in scope, applying to "Security Incidents" as
>>> defined in section 6. Having said that, are there specific requirements
>>> that we should consider adding to Mozilla policy?
>>>

>> There are two things that stand out to me that are unclear if you meant
>> to incorporate by reference to the incident report:
>> - Whether it's a policy violation if the CA fails to disclose the
>> affected certificates, which MSFT policy explicitly requires
>>

> We would only want this if the certificates were disclosed publicly, and
> that seems challenging. TLS certs will, of course, be logged because of
> other UA's requirements, but for email certs CAs may not have the
> contractual right to disclose publicly. And "GDPR".
>
> - What, if any, timeframe for periodic updates. MSFT policy explicitly
>> states that MSFT shall determine the update cadence. (This may be a
>> non-issue)
>>
>> Conceptually this makes sense, but I would be interested to hear your
> thoughts on what our requirement should be? A one-size-fits-all requirement
> of something like weekly updates could be an enforcement nightmare. We
> already assume the right to set deadlines for responses, so it's not
> obvious to me what we'd want in this requirement.
>
> Additionally, in further consideration of both this proposal and the
>> highlighted difference, it's unclear whether it's intended to create a
>> hierarchy of incidents. I think the language, as worded, does - perhaps
>> inadvertantly - by mentioning misissuance vs a procedural or operational
>> issue.
>>
>> Consider, for example, a CA that determines they're copying the O field
>> directly from CSRs into the final certificates. Such certificates are
>> unquestionably misissued, but the language creates the opportunity that the
>> CA would argue it's a "procedural or operational" issue, and thus they're
>> not required to cease issuance until the problem has been prevented.
>>

> This language was cribbed from the wiki page: "In misussuance cases, a CA
> should almost always immediately cease issuance from the affected part of
> your PKI until you have diagnosed the source of the problem, or explain why
> this has not been done"
>
> Perhaps it shouldn't try to account for things like OCSP misconfiguration
> and only state: "CAs SHOULD cease issuance until the problem has been
> prevented from reoccurring."?

I've drafted a specific proposal for everyone's consideration:

https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/commit/5f1b0961fa66f824adca67d7021cd9c9c62a88fb

>> One thing to consider with such a policy is whether to formalize the use
>>>>

>>> I would be interested in everyone's opinion on this. While I agree that
>>> Bugzilla is a necessary mechanism for tracking incidents, I believe that it
>>> reduces community visibility and makes it more difficult for most members
>>> to follow incident discussions. It has been suggested that we create a
>>> process that automatically publishes a summary of new or updated incident
>>> bugs to this list on a periodic basis, but that obviously isn't yet in
>>> place. Even with that, I might argue that the requirement should be to
>>> publish incident reports to m.d.s.p., with a bug then being created by the
>>> CA or a Mozilla representative.
>>>

>> I do share those concerns, hence the attempt to split it in the middle.
>>
>> My concern is that there have been several high-profile incidents which
>> have been discussed in m.d.s.p., in which very relevant questions from
>> members of the community go ignored, perhaps deliberately, and it becomes
>> difficult to track in all of the discussion what those points were.
>> However, I suppose the same issue may similarly exist if tracking the
>> discussion through Bugzilla. This suggestion may end up being orthogonal to
>> the policy update question, but it's one largely motivated by wanting to
>> either make sure CAs are aware of the need to respond to questions - or to
>> make sure that it's accurately noted when CAs ignore or otherwise fail to
>> do so.
>>

> I'd like to create a separate issue to track this proposal and continue to
> work out the best solution rather than combining it with the relatively
> easy question of "should we require incident reporting in policy".

The new issue to track the proposed requirement that incident reporting
happen via Bugzilla is: https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/181

Regarding the proposed requirement for disclosure of the name and version
of commercial CA software in use, Ryan and I agree that it is not helpful,
and there have been no other comments, so I have closed this issue and do
not intend to add that requirement to our policy.

- Wayne