From: Nick Lamb <n...@tlrmx.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:51 AM
To: dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
Cc: Doug Beattie <doug.beat...@globalsign.com>
Subject: Re: AT&T SSL certificates without the AIA extension

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 12:41:07 +0000
Doug Beattie via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> It should be noted that these certificates are not posted to CT logs
> nor are they accessed via browsers as they are used within closed
> networks, but we'll get more details on their exact usage shortly.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for reporting this problem, I appreciate that this subCA doesn't see
a proportionate reward to logging these certs in the existing well known
public logs and so it makes sense that they wouldn't write to them.

I'm also glad to hear that a 100% sample policy was in place with, it sounds
like, a monthly audit period, given the volumes involved (from what I can
see publicly in e.g. Censys) that seems like a good idea.

Still, in terms of your audit oversight role it could make sense, as
software is replaced/ upgraded, to switch to private CT logging as a
substitute for a human role of uploading certs for audit.

>From your description it sounds as though GlobalSign reasonably trusts that
the assigned AT&T Employee will provide them with an accurate set of certs,
the thing we're protecting against here is accident or mistake, not a
malevolent subCA operator which would be very hard to detect this way.
Unfortunately this employee (and perhaps one or more
deputies) were on leave. If that assessment is correct then software which
uses RFC6962 methods to write certs on issuance to a log operated by
GlobalSign would satisfy this requirement automatically without a human
action.

With the log not publicly trusted it could operate a much relaxed policy
(e.g. MMD 7 days or even not defined, not publicly accessible) but it would
avoid this dependency on a specific person at AT&T doing a manual step
periodically in order for GlobalSign to have sight of issued certificates.

With the relative popularity of RFC6962 logging, this becomes an
off-the-shelf hook that can be used to support audit roles easily without
either manual steps to export the certificates or special modifications to
the issuance software. You mentioned EJBCA specifically in this post, and so
I verified that as expected EJBCA does provide a means for CA operators to
configure a log without also then embedding SCTs in certificates (which
might not be desirable for AT&T's application)

Nick.