The analysis was basically that all the verification documents are still good,
which means if we issued the cert today, the issuance would pass without
further checks (since the data itself is good for 825 days). Because of this,
customers with domains that didn’t prohibit Digicert in their CAA record
(anywhere in the chain) could simply reissue the certificate without a problem.
We could require this of all customers. For the 16, issuance would fail if the
CAA check was performed today. Therefore, we want to revoke those.

The one reason I wanted more time to respond is that we think we may have most
CAA records in our Splunk data for the time of issuance. Our new plan is that
we will revoke all certs unless we can confirm the CAA record was permissive at
the time of issuance. I don’t know the number of certs that we will revoke yet.
I’ll post an update when we compare the Splunk data to the issuance data.

The real problem was the CA would kick off a request to the CAA checker. If the
CA encountered an error, the request would time out. The CAA record may still
have checked the CAA records appropriately but the CA never pulled the
information to verify issuance authorization. So it’s a mis-issuance unless we
can pull the data and prove it wasn’t. Combing through the archive data will
take a while.

Jeremy