We wanted to experiment a bit with logotype extensions and trademarks, but
we heard from the CAB Forum that whether inclusion is allowed is subject a
bit to interpretation by the browsers.

>From the BRs section 7.1.2.4

"All other fields and extensions MUST be set in accordance with RFC 5280.
The CA SHALL NOT issue a Certificate that contains a keyUsage flag,
extendedKeyUsage value, Certificate extension, or other data not specified
in section 7.1.2.1, 7.1.2.2, or 7.1.2.3 unless the CA is aware of a reason
for including the data in the Certificate. CAs SHALL NOT issue a Certificate
with: a. Extensions that do not apply in the context of the public Internet
(such as an extendedKeyUsage value for a service that is only valid in the
context of a privately managed network), unless: i. such value falls within
an OID arc for which the Applicant demonstrates ownership, or ii. the
Applicant can otherwise demonstrate the right to assert the data in a public
context; or b. semantics that, if included, will mislead a Relying Party
about the certificate information verified by the CA (such as including
extendedKeyUsage value for a smart card, where the CA is not able to verify
that the corresponding Private Key is confined to such hardware due to
remote issuance)."

In this case, the logotype extension would have a trademark included (or
link to a trademark). I think this allowed as:

1.      There is a reason for including the data in the Certificate (to
identify a verified trademark). Although you may disagree about the reason
for needing this information, there is a not small number of people
interested in figuring out how to better use identification information. No
browser would be required to use the information (of course), but it would
give organizations another way to manage certificates and identity
information - one that is better (imo) than org information.
2.      The cert applies in the context of the public Internet.
Trademarks/identity information is already included in the BRs.
3.      The trademark does not falls within an OID arc for which the
Applicant demonstrates ownership (no OID included).
4.      The Applicant can otherwise demonstrate the right to assert the data
in a public context. If we vet ownership of the trademark with the
appropriate office, there's no conflict there.
5.      Semantics that, if included, will not mislead a Relying Party about
the certificate information verified by the CA (such as including
extendedKeyUsage value for a smart card, where the CA is not able to verify
that the corresponding Private Key is confined to such hardware due to
remote issuance). None of these examples are very close to the proposal.

What I'm looking for is not a discussion on whether this is a good idea, but
rather  is it currently permitted under the BRs per Mozilla's
interpretation. I'd like to have the "is this a good idea" discussion, but
in a separate thread to avoid conflating permitted action compared to ideal
action.

Jeremy