On 14/06/2019 18:54, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 4:12 PM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>> In such a case, there are two obvious solutions:
>>
>> A. Trademark owner (prompted by applicant) provides CA with an official
>>     permission letter stating that Applicant is explicitly licensed to
>>     mark the EV certificate for a specific list of SANs and and Subject
>>     DNs with their specific trademark (This requires the CA to do some
>>     validation of that letter, similar to what is done for domain
>>     letters).
>

> This process has been forbidden since August 2018, as it is fundamentally
> insecure, especially as practiced by a number of CAs. The Legal Opinion
> Letter (LOL) has also been discussed at length with respect to a number of
> problematic validations that have occurred, due to CAs failing to exercise
> due diligence or their obligations under the NetSec requirements to
> adequately secure and authenticate the parties involved in validating such
> letters.

Well, that was unfortunate for the case where it is not straing parent-
child (e.g. trademark owned by a foundation and licensed to the company)
But ok, in that case the option is gone, and what follows below is moot:

> Letter needs to be reissued for end-of-period cert
>>     renewals, but not for unchanged early reissue where the cause is not
>>     applicant loss of rights to items.  For example, the if the Heartbleed
>>     incident had occurred mid-validity, the web server security teams
>>     could get reissued certificates with uncompromised private keys
>>     without repeating this time consuming validation step.
>

> EV certificates require explicit authorization by an authorized
> representative for each and every certificate issued. A key rotation event
> is one to be especially defensive about, as an attacker may be attempting
> to bypass the validation procedures to rotate to an attacker-supplied key.
> This was an intentional design by CAs, in an attempt to provide some value
> over DV and OV certificates by the presumed difficulty in substituting them.

I was considering the trademark as a validated property of the subject
(similar to e.g. physical address), thus normally subject to the 825 day
reuse limit.  My wording was intended to require stricter than current
BR revalidation for renewal within that 825 day limit.

Enjoy

Jakob