Dear Ryan,

Thanks very much for this very insightful email. There really is a lot that
I and others don't know about how these decisions are made.

The silver lining here is that we agree on where some of the gaps are in
this process, and that Mozilla, Google and others are working on filling in
these gaps, as you say. I would argue that the existence of so many
conflicts of interests, intricacies and complexities between the multiple
stakeholders in such decisions make it more urgent to fill in these gaps
quickly and completely.

If the existing documentation are insufficient in order to provide a full
set of distinguishers on the intricacies of this process, then it stands to
reason that they should be improved. If a certain terminology is too broad,
it stands to reason that it can be made less broad. If layman's terms are
deployed for non-layman concepts, it stands to reason that this should be
modified and its underlying concept elucidated. If incompetent auditors
cannot be differentiated from competent auditors, it stands to reason that
this can be addressed. If areas exist where conflicts of interests are
likely, it stands to reason that policies can be expanded to avoid these
conflicts of interests from occurring.

So long as we can continue to point to specific problems and shortcomings,
which you do masterfully and to great public service in your email, it will
always stand to reason that we can improve our policies such that the gaps
are filled. And again, it's wonderful that Mozilla, Google etc. are working
on this.

Many times in this discussion, we have all been offered a choice between
two paths. The first path would be to examine difficult problems and
shortcomings together and attempting to present incremental--often
onerous--improvements. The second path would be to just say that someone
should trust us based on years of subjective experience. In many, many
cases, the latter really is a wise thing to say and a correct thing to say
(and I truly mean this); it offers a path through which judicious decisions
are often made. Furthermore, it is often a necessary path to take when time
is of the essence. But it is seldom the rigorous path to take, seldom the
path that serves future engineers and practitioners in the field, and
seldom the path that gives institutions the foundation and the standing
that they will need in the decades to come.

I sincerely appreciate the formidable passion with which you argue for your
positions, and am glad that someone like you holds the responsibility that
you do.

Thank you,

Nadim Kobeissi
Symbolic Software • https://symbolic.software