Dear Ryan,

In outlining the two paths that I presented at the end of my previous
email, I made sure to illustrate the choice between them as one that comes
repeatedly -- a conscious choice that every time produces a small,
incremental improvement, often through a tiresome and onerous process.
Indeed I was trying to support slow, grinding iterations towards the better
-- and that's not at all something that sounds to me like sticking out for
only the perfect solution. And indeed I supported the subjective and
deliberative path as often necessary and wise when time is of the essence.
I find it very surprising that you seem to believe that I was arguing for
perfection -- quite the opposite, in fact.

I do still believe that when we fall back to relying on mainstream news
articles, with no obvious fallback in procedure, then it's reasonable for
people like me to chime in and wonder about a potential lack of rigor.
Every potential participant in this thread comes with their own
misconceptions and lack of information, and I'm no exception, but I still
find that my original source of concern holds. My impression at least is
that it's produced a worthwhile and valuable discussion for everyone (in no
small part thanks to your own time and effort). And of course, I don't mean
to admonish anyone here with the points of discussion that I've raised, and
I would certainly like to think that nobody feels admonished by anyone else
so far in this thread.

I am very glad that others are working slowly on the long term effort for
better policy. I think these issues are fundamental to the Internet's
safety and hope that I'll be able to help out more one day in whatever way
I can volunteer.

Thank you,

Nadim Kobeissi
Symbolic Software • https://symbolic.software