I have to rebut the idea that revoking trust is an adequate -- let alone an "essentially absolute" -- recourse for a CA's abuse of its authority.

The fact is that an abusive CA can cause unwanted (and potentially harmful) code and data to be injected into -- and personal data to be exfiltrated from -- nearly any user's device on the entire global internet.

Once data is exfiltrated, its rightful owner has lost control of it forever. Revoking trust in the abusive CA that caused this loss does not amend it. Once a device is penetrated, it can be very difficult to disinfect, even assuming that the user knows that it has been penetrated. Such a device might function as a spy upon and/or an editor of its victim's data (and the data of persons with whom the victim communicates) indefinitely. An infected device is not in any way "fixed" by revoking trust in the abusive CA that caused it to become infected. Furthermore, an infected device can infect other devices, both locally and globally.

The consequences to victims of breaches caused by an abusive CA can be extreme, potentially including prosecution, imprisonment, and worse. And revoking trust does nothing to amend these consequences.

This is all but to say that enormous responsibility rests upon CAs, and even more so upon trust-store custodians, who effectively are supposed to protect every user on the global internet from bad actors. We must not lose sight of these facts while we argue about process, profit, and whatnot else.

-R