-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy-boun...@lists.mozilla.org> On
Behalf Of Ryan Sleevi via dev-security-policy
Sent: Monday, October 7, 2019 9:35 AM
To: Jakob Bohm <jb-mozi...@wisemo.com>
Cc: mozilla-dev-security-policy <mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: CAs cross-signing roots whose subjects don't comply with the BRs

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy <

> On 07/10/2019 16:52, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> > I'm curious how folks feel about the following practice:
> >
> > Imagine a CA, "Foo", that creates a new Root Certificate ("Root 1").
> > They create this Root Certificate after the effective date of the
> > Baseline Requirements, but prior to Root Programs consistently
> > requiring
> compliance
> > with the Baseline Requirements (i.e. between 2012 and 2014). This
> > Root Certificate does not comply with the BRs' rules on Subject:
> > namely, it omits the Country field.
>
> Clarification needed: Does it omit Country from the DN of the root 1
> itself, from the DN of intermediary CA certs and/or from the DN of End
> Entity certs?

It's as I stated: The Subject of the Root Certificate omits the Country field.

> > Later, in 2019, Foo takes their existing Root Certificate ("Root
> > 2"), included within Mozilla products, and cross-signs the Subject.
> > This now creates a cross-signed certificate, "Root 1 signed-by Root
> > 2", which has
> > Subject field that does not comport with the Baseline Requirements.
>
> Nit: Signs the Subject => Signs Root 1

Perhaps it would be helpful if you were clearer about what you believe you were
correcting.

I thought I was very precise here, so it's useful to understand your
confusion:

Root 2, a root included in Mozilla products, cross-signs Root 1, a root which
omits the Country field from the Subject.

This creates a certificate, whose issuer is Root 2 (a Root included in Mozilla
Products), and whose Subject is Root 1. The Subject of Root 1 does not meet the
BRs requirements on Subjects for intermediate/root
certificates: namely, the certificate issued by Root 2 omits the C, because
Root 1 omits the C.