Yeah - I like the visibility here since I know I often forget to post the
incident to the Mozilla list as well as post the bug.

IMO - it's up to the CA to decide if they want to sign something in violation
of the BRs and then it's up the browsers on what the action taken in response
is. I acknowledge this is somewhat a non-answer, but I think if the CA
discloses why they are signing something, works with the community to decide
the action taken is better than the alternative, accepts the risk to the audit,
then they should do it, assuming the risk. The BRs are pretty rigid so there
may be circumstances that merit violation of the requirements, but that
violation should only be done with as much transparency as possible and
considering all the positions.

For example, suppose a root was created before a rule went into place and the
root needs to be renewed for some reason. If the root was compliant before
creation and modifying the profile would break something with the root, then
there's a good argument that you shouldn't modify the root during the resign.
That assumes the reasons are discussed here and alternatives are explored
fully.  This should then be documented (including the reasons) in an incident
report and the subsequent audit.

Tl;dr - No, CAs shouldn't sign things that violate the BRs, even roots. But I
could see there being reasons for the CA to do so.

(And I haven't scanned CT to discover if it is us. Crossing my fingers it's not
😊. If I don't scan, it's like a terrible version of Christmas.)