I finally got around to digesting the email below. Summary/Reminder: CA related
data on website identity from the perspective of website owners.

As Homer Simpson said, "70% of all reports are made up”. So, everything put
forward by me in previous messages, or anyone else, must be taken with a pinch
of salt. That said, data does give meaning to personal opinions. Without data,
we’re left with just opinions.

If we set the data aside for a second, we all know (fingers crossed) that
opening the wrong link and signing into the wrong website, is something that
people either worry about, or should be worried about.

I pitched a company last week. The Director of Threat Intelligence for a
multi-billion dollar security company in Silicon Valley thought he’d prove that
he couldn't be caught out. I wasn’t testing the room, but he jumped in and said
"#10 is the real domain". He was wrong (unfortunately because I felt bad) - it
was a fake. I had to explain how it wasn’t a reflection on his expertise but
rather, an emotional state of mind at a given point in time under specific
circumstances. What the eyes can’t see, the brain fills in [1].

This subject is so important I would love Mozilla to consider implementing a
beta program. I’d proudly contribute.

Here’s something we did at MetaCert, that Mozilla could do - auto classify
regulated TLDs and gTLDs. For example, you could light up the visual indicator
for URLs on .GOV domains - without any need for third-party interaction. This
would make it virtually impossible for anyone to fall for a phishing scam when
filing taxes - for example. Perhaps it would encourage the DNC (and GOP) to
only use .GOV domains and avoid being hacked by Russians in the future. These
are just a few use cases where there’s a potential for massive real world
benefit.

Rather than remove website identity based on the response to poor design
implementation, we should consider making it better. I believe website owners
would be more likely to seek verification if they can really protect their
brand online. And consumers would proactively look for it.

Website identity won’t ever be perfect, but with new technologies and
methodologies that have come out in the past 18 months, so much more can also
be achieved by CAs and other providers, to tighten up the verification process,
while making it faster and lower cost for customers.

[1] https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/archiveofnews/2011/april/headline_194655_en.html
<https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/archiveofnews/2011/april/headline_194655_en.html>

- Paul