> On Oct 9, 2019, at 2:04 PM, Eric Mill <e...@konklone.com> wrote:
>
> (apologies to anyone who gets this twice, my first email got sent to some
> spam folders, so I took out the example domain I used)
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Those statements are both hyperbolic representations of others' points of
> view.

[PW] This is unhelpful Eric. I have referenced an enormous amount of data
points across multiple messages - perhaps you could be specific about which of
my “representations" you think are “hyperbolic” when replying to my previous
messages? And if you don’t mind, provide some evidence-based metrics to
demonstrate why you think they are hyperbolic.

There is a lot of hyperbole in this debate so I appreciate you calling me out -
but it would help if you were specific - but you need to go through my previous
posts.

> There are plenty of people who are skeptical about the effectiveness of EV
> and its associated UI who nonetheless believe that some sense of
> trustworthiness about websites is important. For example, Mozilla integrates
> the Safe Browsing system into its applications to protect users from
> malicious websites, regardless of whether the connection to that website was
> secure.

[PW] “people who are skeptical” is an opinion about other people’s opinions.

I question the effectiveness of EV too - because the UI/UX designers at Mozilla
didn't implement good visual indicators for website identity. I’m glad we agree
on this.

I’ve already provided data driven evidence and techniques to help demonstrate
why Google’s Safe Browser API is not addressing the problem. Perhaps you can
revert back.

> There are also plenty of people who don't enjoy the sight of certificates
> imitating PayPal domains being issued by Let's Encrypt, and may think that
> this is a symptom of a larger problem - but still don't agree that
> intervention by the CA is the appropriate tool to handle that problem, for
> reasons such as the lack of a formal process for adjucating claims (like the
> UDPR for registrars), or a general concern about censorship, or an
> observation that malware and phishing sites are often deployed to specific
> pages on otherwise-good services and that hostname-level enforcement is a
> mismatch for the problem.

[PW] I don’t disagree with anything you said above. Just to clarify, I never
said CAs could or should intervene with Let’s Encrypt. If you revert back to my
scribbles you’ll find that I provided data and insights to explain why
criminals favor free SSL certs from Let’s Encrypt.

I believe an alternative icon to the encryption lock would make a massive
difference to combating the security threats that involve dangerous links and
websites. I provided data to back up my beliefs.

> Putting the hyperbole aside, the general sentiment behind both of those
> statements is consistent, and not something I think is in urgent need of
> clarification by Mozilla. Further, there are ongoing efforts to improve
> online security and trustworthiness that don't rely on CAs doing anything at
> all. Services like Microsoft SmartScreen and Google Safe Browsing are one of
> those. The deployment of phishing-resistant WebAuthn-based authentication is
> another.

[PW] You’ve brought up hyperbole again - I think you might have missed some
messages from me - I’ve provided so much data it’s coming out of my ears. But
fear not, I have been asked to write a guest post that will be published by the
end of this week - it will have absolutely everything I’ve ever said, in a
single essay. I’ll post a link when it’s published. People can then pick it
apart if they have the time, energy and interest.

Now, you refer to “general sentiment” - can we stop this? I don’t call that
hyperbole but it pretty much amounts to the same thing if measured in added
utility. We need less of this and more data. Everyone has an opinion. Everyone
has the right to an opinion. But we should take opinions more seriously when
coupled with data.

Criminals have used Office365 to phish Microsoft employees while using
Office365 and while being protected by Microsoft’s own massive threat
intelligence system. The criminals then accessed all of Microsoft’s non-paying
customers’ emails so they could gain access to their cryptocurrency.

The reverse-proxy phishing technique bypasses Google’s own Safe Browser API
inside their own WebView while their own users sign into Google pages while
using Google’s Authenticator for 2FA. So their answer? In June 2019 they banned
users from signing into Google’s pages while using mobile apps with a WebView.
This tells you what you need to know about Safe Browser API - finally I have
the evidence to prove that it’s an “ok” solution at best. Most security
companies still think it’s great - because they’re not in possession of all the
facts.

WebAuthn-based security is something we can agree on being brilliant. Finally.
However, we will not see mainstream adoption for it ever, or for a very long
time. So, we need to do something to protect people for the next 5 years.
Expecting it to help now is like inventing a new house alarm that most people
either don’t know about, can’t afford, or see as unnecessary or too
complicated.

But again, it is a brilliant solution.

> Not speaking for anyone else here, I personally see it as futile to rely on
> user education for nearly any aspect of security. Instead, we should be
> designing systems that do the right thing on the user's behalf wherever
> possible. This doesn't necessarily have to rely on large benevolent central
> services:

I agree. Did you read my findings in relation to website identity visual
indicators being used by 85k active power users - with zero victims of a
malicious link or website over an 18 month timespan? If not, I provided a huge
amount of data around this. If you did read it and you still hold your opinion
above, perhaps you can tell me where I’m wrong by referencing the data and
techniques put forward. Without doing that, we can’t forward this debate in a
meaningful way.

> WebAuthn is an excellent example of a standard that can be implemented by
> anyone in software or hardware, without getting any company's permission, and
> integrated in the way that makes the most sense for users of that service or
> platform. WebAuthn relies on the domain name to resist phishing, but doesn't
> rely on the user having to watch to make sure they are at the right domain
> name. If someone ends up at a similar phishing domain and doesn't notice, the
> WebAuthn-based authenticator (whether a YubiKey, a smartphone fingerprint
> reader, or a Macbook Touchbar, etc.) will notice on the user's behalf that
> the domain name differs from the website that the authenticator was
> originally registered at.

I don’t disagree with any of this. But look at my comment about adoption.

> That's a very smart model that renders many common classes of attacks
> infeasible for even highly well-resourced attackers, while requiring no user
> education about how websites or certificates work. And as people get used to
> using authenticators that are built into their phone or laptop, and use the
> same ceremony that people use to log into those devices themselves to also
> log into websites, there will be no user education required for how to
> benefit from these advancements.
>
> I'm not trying to argue that WebAuthn alone will save the web, but rather
> pointing to it as a fruitful example of where resources are being poured
> *instead* of user education or on greater reliance on CAs for ecosystem
> monitoring. No one's just sitting back and not caring about phishing:
> instead, the ecosystem is responding to the threats as they've observed them,
> using a model that is already showing real results in the real world with
> real users.

To summarize, we agree that WebAuthn is brilliant. And on everything else, you
fail to provide any insights or data to suggest why anything I’ve said is
hyperbolic. There are many threads in which I have provided data, so it’s best
to reply to those rather than a message that contains nothing but opinions -
from you to me and from me back to you - no data - no evidence to back up
anything.

- Paul