> >     Sounds good. This was your proposed response to solving this issue
> >     back on May 13, so it's full circle :)
> >

> > I'm going to consider this issue resolved unless there are further
> > comments.
>
> Just checking whether the following is acceptable.
>
> If a CA validates the domain mycompany.example being owned/controlled by
> "mycompany", can this company delegate the issuance of
> S/MIME certificates for subsection1.mycompany.example to an internal
> department or a subsidiary? Does the proposed language allow
> this?

I'm also not sure if I understand the wording correctly. Let's assume, an
internal CA of company "mycompany" gets successfully validated for
mycompany.example and receives a (possibly name constrained) certificate for
its issuing CA from one of the root CAs. Can this internal CA issue
certificates for every email address under @mycompany.example without further
validation or is an internal validation process required? My opinion is, that
such an internal validation process doesn't increase security, since mycompany
controls the mailservers of mycompany and can anyhow validate everything.

By the way: How are CAA records to be treated in the scope of S/MIME? Since
gmail.com has a CAA record that prevents every CA except of Google to issue
certificates for gmail.com, does this also forbid every CA to issue
certificates for rufus.busch...@gmail.com?

With best regards,
Rufus Buschart

Siemens AG
Siemens Operations
Information Technology
Value Center Core Services
SOP IT IN COR
Freyeslebenstr. 1
91058 Erlangen, Germany
Tel.: +49 1522 2894134
mailto:rufus.busch...@siemens.com
www.twitter.com/siemens

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim Hagemann
Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive
Officer; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich, Janina Kugel, Cedrik Neike,
Michael Sen, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany;
Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684;
WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322