On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 11:37:23PM -0400, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 10:30 PM Matt Palmer via dev-security-policy
> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 07:35:50AM +0200, Hanno Böck via
> > dev-security-policy wrote:
> > > After communicating with Microsoft it turns out this is due to user
> > > agent blocking, the URLs can be accessed, but not with a wget user
> > > agent.
> > > Microsoft informed me that "the wget agent is explicitly being blocked
> > > as a bot defense measure."
> > >
> > > I leave it up to the community to discuss whether this is acceptable.
> >
> > I'm firmly on the "nope, unacceptable" side of the fence on this one.
>
> Could you share your reasoning?

Sure, plenty of reasons:

1. As Hanno said, it's a public resource, and as such it should, in general,
be available to the public.

2. wget is a legitimate tool for downloading files, thus blocking the wget
user agent is denying legitimate users access to the resource.

3. For a miscreant, blocking by user agent is barely a speed bump, as
changing UA to something innocuous / harder to block is de rigeur.

- Matt