On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 00:33:35 -0700 (PDT)
David Shah via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> Richmond in the UK has not been part of Surrey from an administrative
> point of view since 1965. It is now part of Greater London.

If a model of how places work requires that the UK be split into
counties then the model is defective because that's not how it has
worked for decades.

However, for the purpose of OV/EV certificates I don't think this is a
real concern unless the address is actively misleading rather than
merely in some technical sense a "wrong" address. Letters which are
otherwise correctly addressed but imply Richmond is in Surrey will be
anyhow delivered without delay, and the address isn't made difficult to
find in person by this "mistake".

The subscriber is uncontroversially identified, and most likely any
weird glitches like "Richmond, Surrey" are a result of an external
database that isn't the responsibility of a CA.

Nick.