On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 10:20 AM Paul Walsh via dev-security-policy <

> "Every domain should be allowed to have a certificate ***regardless of
> intent***.”
>
> They are the most outrageously irresponsible words that I’ve heard in my
> career on the web since 1996 when I was at AOL, and sadly, I’ve heard them
> more than once. I just can’t get my head around it. To me, those words are
> akin to someone saying that masks, Bill Gates, 5G and vaccinations are all
> dangerous - totally stupid and not in the best interest of society.

Calling someone else's contributions on the list "totally stupid" is to me
a pretty clear violation of the code of conduct of this list. Maybe you
didn't mean to do exactly that, but given that you also called them
"outrageously irresponsible" and made a direct comparison to 5G/vaccination
conspiracy theories, certainly the totality of your note was unnecessarily
harsh.

> [...]
> >
> > Let's Encrypt hasn't done anything wrong here.
> > Let's Encrypt has issued the certificate according to the BR
> requirements and their own policies.
> >
> > Every domain should be allowed to have a certificate regardless of
> intent. CAs must not be allowed to act as judges.
> >
> > Remember, all server certificates have to go into CT log and therefore
> easily findable. That can be useful in many situations.
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 9:15 AM Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy
> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org <mailto:
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>> wrote:
> > It’s actually really simple.
> >
> > You end up in a position of editorializing.  If you will not provide
> > service for abuse, everyone with a gripe constantly tries to redefine
> abuse.
> >

> > Additionally, this is why positive security indicators are clearly on the
> > way out.  In the not too distant future all sites will be https, so all
> > will require certs.
> >
> > CAs are not meant to certify that the party you’re communicating with
> isn’t
> > a monster.  Just that if you are visiting siterunbymonster.com <
> http://siterunbymonster.com/> that you
> > really are speaking with siterunbymonster.com <
> http://siterunbymonster.com/>.
> >
> > On Wednesday, August 12, 2020, Paul Walsh via dev-security-policy <
> > dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org <mailto:
> dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>> wrote:
> >
> > > [snip]

> trust

> > > already been discussed extensively on this list. This domain is already
> > > blocked by Google Safe Browsing, which is the correct layer (the User
> > > Agent) to deal with phishing at. I'd suggest reading through these
> posts
> > > before continuing so that we don't waste our time rehashing old
> arguments:
> > >
> https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/search?q=phishing
> <https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/search?q=phishing
> >

> > > [PW]  I’m going to ignore technology and phishing here, it’s
> irrelevant.
> > > What we’re talking about is a company’s anti-abuse policies and how
> they’re
> > > implemented and enforced. It doesn’t matter if they’re selling
> certificates
> > > or apples.
> > >
> > > Companies have a moral obligation (often legal) to **try** to reduce
> the
> > > risk of their technology/service being abused by people with ill
> intent. If
> > > they try and fail, that’s ok. I don’t think a reasonable person can
> > > disagree with that.
> > >
> > > If Let’s Encrypt, Entrust Datacard, GoDaddy, or whoever, has been
> informed
> > > that bad people are abusing their service, why wouldn’t they want to
> stop
> > > that from happening? And why would anyone say that it’s ok for any

Eric Mill
617-314-0966 | konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>